Are you tired of waking up as the grouchy grinch? Check out my 12 helpful tips to kick start your morning.
1.Trash the Alarm clock
Don’t wake up with those electric shock machines disguised as ‘Alarm clocks’! According to a study conducted by the National Institue of Occupational Safety And Health, Japan, waking up to a jolting noise can be detrimental to your health. Apart from increasing your blood pressure and heart rate, it can also contribute to adverse levels of stress and anxiety.
2. Relaxing Ringtone
Say good riddance to ratchet ringtones and create a ‘Good Morning’ playlist that will gently coax you out of sleep without giving you a heart attack. According to Music psychologist, David. M.Greenberg, (Business Insider UK) your morning playlist should consist of three elements:
- Music that builds
- A strong beat
Check out my blog post, The Best Christian Music Playlist for some ideas.
3. Let there be light
Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. – Genesis 1:3
There is something powerful about opening up your curtains and blinds first thing in the morning. Not only are you bathing your bedroom with sunlight, you are also activating your internal body clock. Furthermore, light has a positive effect on your adrenalin levels and your mood.
This is supported by Dr Stephanie Davis, in her blog post titled ‘Boost Adrenal and Mood Health with Light‘ she states that “Exposure to early morning light triggers cortisol and serotonin to increase. Cortisol wakes you up and gets you moving, while serotonin helps you regain consciousness”.
‘A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones’. – Proverbs 18:22
According to an article in Helpguide.org, ‘Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain’.
- Watch a comedy sketch from your favourite comedian whilst you’re eating breakfast.
- Listen to a comedian podcast.
- Follow a comedian on Instagram for a 60-second dose of laughter. I’ve recently discovered Christian comedian, Christanee Porter also known as Ms. Shirleen.
5.Break The Fast
Did you know that skipping breakfast increases your risk of dizziness, shakiness and a headache?
- Stash a box of fibre-packed granola bars into your bag so you can eat on the go.
- Prep your breakfast the night before. Opt for healthy smoothies and pre-sliced fruit.
Check out Greatist for yummy breakfast ideas.
6.More Tea Vicar?
Are you a complete jittery bunny in the morning without a cup of coffee?
As much as we love our latte art and espresso shots, we need to be conscious of the fact that too much caffeine can have a negative effect on our digestive system and our mood.To avoid the jittery bunny syndrome, try to limit your caffeine intake by trying out these delicious ‘pick me up’ drinks:
- Chai Tea – The cardamom in the tea will help to increase your mood, combat nausea, bloating, gas and heartburn.
- Moringa Tea – The high levels of Vitamin E and C help to support brain health which contributes to elevating your mood and memory.
- Lemon and Root Ginger Tea – Not only is it caffeine-free, it also helps to improve your skin, combat fatigue and alleviate nausea.
Check out iquitsugar.com for more delicious drinks.
7. Our Father
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. – Joshua 1:8
When was the last time that you meditated over a passage of scripture?
In an insightful blog post by Justin Taylor (The Gospel Coalition), he reflected on an essay written by Dr Joel R. Beeke, about meditation. He highlights a number of benefits to meditating and states that ‘Meditation provides inner resources on which to draw (Ps. 77:10-12), including direction for daily life (Prov. 6:21-22)’.
I personally find comfort in making faith-filled declarations over my morning that are connected to the word of God, such as ‘I may have had a troubled night, but I decree and declare that according to the word of God in Psalm 30 verse 5, joy comes in the morning’.
Meditating on applicable scripture verses can also help you to conquer reoccurring negative and sinful thoughts that can hamper your day.
You don’t need to have a full-on immersion to be squeaky clean.
Did you know that having a shower helps to improve your blood circulation, reduces stress, anxiety and removes toxins away from the body? Invest in a shower gel that makes you feel and smell like a delectable fruit!
Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands! Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before His presence with singing. – Psalm 100:1-2
The next time anyone tells you to stop singing in the shower, kindly put on your Usher hat and tell them to take several seats!
Whenever you sing, dopamine is released into your body which is known as the motivation molecule. According to bebrainfit.com, Dopamine helps to stimulate your focus, concentration and, motivation. Low levels of dopamine can lead to mood swings, lack of motivation, procrastination, hopelessness and even fatigue. So open up your mouth and sing!!!
You don’t need to waste your coins on unscrupulous gym membership fees to keep fit.
- Complete a 10-minute daily workout that focuses on one aspect of your body.
- Subscribe to a dance workout channel on Youtube and burn those calories with style.
- Install a fitness app on your phone to help you keep track of your progress.
- Invest in clothing that compliments your physique and fits you well. The last thing you need when you have five minutes to spare is to slather your legs with vegetable oil and then squeeze them into a pair of jeans that are two sizes too small.
- If you wear makeup, learn how to do your makeup within 5 minutes flat. Set that timer on your phone and beat your face into submission!
- Do you have a beard and don’t now how to keep it looking like a bushy work of art?Consider taking the semi-permanent route with a DIY inked up beard!
Bring out your school marker pens and sketch out your own waterproof beard. Please note, ink transfer on your clothing is highly likely, so tread with caution and flee white cotton shirts!
12. Treat Yourself
The New York Times bestselling author, Gretchen Rubin is an advocate for treating yourself. In her book, ‘Better than before’, Rubin highlights the importance of treating yourself to elevate your energy, uplift your morale and boost your ability to control your emotions.
Keep a weekly track of your achievements and reward yourself. Were you able to stick to your morning workout routine? Treat yourself.
Were you able to leave home in one piece, without another ladder in your tights? Go ahead and treat yourself! You don’t need to wait for a friend, loved one or some random stranger to applaud your efforts, just do it yo’self!
REFERENCE GIF: All GIFs taken from giphy.com
I hope these tips will help to kick start your day. Please feel free to leave a comment and let me know how you start off your morning.
Don’t forget to like, share or follow. 🙂